Our community considers religious and spiritual growth to be a lifelong process, says Director of Spiritual Exploration and Learning for Children and Youth Faye Mogensen.
We aim to help nurture the development of:
- a sense of awe, curiosity and wonder
- love and respect for self and others
- acceptance of religious diversity
- awareness of the interconnectedness of all existence
- ethical principles
- a personal set of beliefs
- a community of friends
- our Unitarian Universalist values, history and traditions
- our Jewish-Christian heritage
- world religions
- personal growth and spirituality
- social justice and environmental issues
We take actions that contribute to:
- the well-being of our church,
- our local community
- and the world at large.
We recognize parents as the primary educators of their children.
Ages, Stages and Sundays:
• 1 to 4 years: Paid staff offer loving care from 10:20 to noon on Sundays. Free play, stories, music, snack, outdoor exploration and a short circle time help children enjoy their morning.
• Kindergarten– Gr. 5: Spiritual Exploration and Learning groups gather during Sunday services in the children’s wing, or sometimes outdoors. Children begin at 10:30 in the Sanctuary for music and a story prior to their classes.
At 11:45, when older children make their own way to their families, we ask you to pick-up and sign-out your children ages 6 and younger. Our curriculum explores Practices to Transform Ourselves and the World.
• Gr. 4-5: Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education begins in September.
• Gr. 6-8: Junior yU*Uth – a special Coming of Age year
• Gr. 9-12: Our yU*Uth Ministry is based on six pillars: worship, leadership, learning, community building, social action, and fun. Youth take leadership in all of these areas, with adult support.
Children are welcome to attend our programs as guests; we ask that they be registered by their fourth visit – the form will be available in August. Being registered helps us in our planning and helps children feel they belong, but doesn’t require that you join the congregation. Questions? Email Faye or phone 250-744-2695.
We strive to build community:
You may wish to consider joining a Neigbourhood Group and to get to know others living in your area.
If you are interested in participating in Parent’s Circle (details coming), please be in touch with Faye.