The Diversity Team’s mandate is to encourage the congregation to be open and welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex persons, and promote the cause of LGBTI equality in the wider community by:
* Increasing the awareness of the congregation about LGBTI issues by keeping them informed.
* Encouraging the incorporation of LGBTI life issues in our programming wherever appropriate.
* Celebrating and Affirming LGBTI issues and history, including Gay Pride Week in July and National Coming Out Day in October.
* Participating in and/or supporting efforts to create justice, freedom and equality for LGBTI people in the larger society.
* Maintaining LGBTI visibility within the congregation, and promoting us as a welcoming congregation in the wider community.
Living for Love, Dying because of Hate… Homophobia is a serious problem in many countries. For example, sex between adults of the same sex – often characterized as “unnatural carnal acts” or “acts against the order of nature” – is currently a crime in 31 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, as well as all of North Africa. In four countries in the region it carries the death penalty.