Family Ministry is an approach to faith development which recognizes that:
- Faith development happens throughout our lives, at all ages and wherever we are
- Parents, grandparents and caregivers are the primary religious educators for their children, and
- Ours is an intentional community of all ages.
Family Ministry seeks to meet people where they are and include families of all kinds – as families – in the life of the congregation.
Family ministry is not just about families with children, but the family ministry model recognizes that families with children need significant attention.
Family Ministry may look quite different from one congregation to another, but congregations moving in this direction typically place greater emphasis on:
- Whole-congregation worship
- Social action and social justice for all ages
- Parent support and education
- At-home resources
- Whole-congregation social and educational events
- Worship and education at times other than Sunday mornings
Moving towards Family Ministry involves changes to faith development that will expand beyond the children and youth programs. These changes will be experienced throughout the congregation, including in the worship service.