More posts in: News
Unitarian Universalists across Canada are engaging in discussion and debate about an 8th principle which would focus on race and culture as a spiritual matter.
A Special Meeting will be held on Nov. 21, 2021, for appointed Canadian Unitarian Council delegates to vote on this.
In preparation, and in support of informed and open democracy , First Victoria has struck a temporary task force to communicate facts and background through this webpage, eweekly, newsletter and Facebook; invite congregation views through small groups, with guiding questions (plus your own!) for neighbourhood groups, committees and programs to prepare our thoughts and concerns for the ministers to lead a dialogue upon their return in August.
The consultation plan will be led by Rebecca Mellett, with Board Vice-President Jim Willis and ministers. Others are welcome to join in the coordination, please contact Rebecca anytime firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 8, 2021: CUC AGM presentation on Dismantling Racism Study recommends adopting an 8th principle; [to follow]
- Motion from the floor to immediately adopt an 8th principle, as follows:
“We, the member congregations of the Canadian Unitarian Council, covenant to affirm and promote:
“Individual and communal action that accountably dismantles racism and other oppressions in ourselves and in our institutions.””
- Motion was recalled due to procedural error (no motions from the floor allowed)
- CUC hold a Special Meeting on November 21, 2021 for congregational delegates to vote on an 8th principle.
- FUCV Consultation Task Force will engage our congregation in discussion and debate between now and the end of October, 2021 in preparation for the CUC vote
Background on CUC 8th Principle:
- Canadian Unitarian Council — backgrounder & instructions https://cuc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/A-Way-Forward-for-the-8th-Principle-Process2-2021-05-13.pdf
- CUC Dismantling Racism Study Group https://cuc.ca/dismantling-racism-study-group/
- Final Report submitted to CUC https://cuc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/CUC-Dismantling-Racism-Final-Report-LP.2021-05.pdf
- Other UU dialogues on 8th principle :
- CUC Youth and Young Adults Forum — Saturday August 7, 2021 @ 11am PT
Other pertinent stuff:
- [to follow … for example: principle vs call to action; history of 7 UU principles; what other congregations are coming up with, etc]
Join or contact FUCV Consultation Team on 8th Principle
Coordinator & Chair Membership Committee, Rebecca Mellett email@example.com
Board Vice-President Jim Willis firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministers (after August return)