Original Superior Street church building.
Throughout the years the First Unitarian Church of Victoria has provided a leading liberal religious presence on Vancouver Island. Its Social Responsibility Council has had an especially strong influence in many areas of social justice.
The Unitarian presence in the Victoria area traces back to 1909. Several ministers served the congregation for the next eight years. Services, including a small religious school for children, continued with the assistance of visiting English and American ministers.
Final service for this small group ended June 26, 1927.
In 1950 a new small Unitarian Fellowship began with monthly home meetings. As the years progressed membership has grown from the original dozen adherents to nearly 300.
In 1977 members bought an older building at 106 Superior Street in the James Bay neighbourhood, allowing for the development of an active children’s religious school .
In 1993 the building was sold. Members purchased the present property at 5575 West Saanich Road and added a new sanctuary.